Riverside Hospital in 1917

Photo from the University of Tennessee Libraries Digital Collections, Identifier 0012_000067_000231  Riverside Hospital, located on Riverside Drive, was established around 1918. It continued to operate until 1927 when it became Riverside-Fort Sanders Hospital and moved to 1909 Clinch Avenue. Dr … Continue reading

Knoxville’s First Mid-Century Male Nursing Students Enrolled, 1958

[The newspaper articles below failed to recognize John Brockman, graduate of Lincoln Memorial School of Nursing in 1913.] Two Men Join Girls in Nurses’ Training Presbyterian Hospital’s new nurses’ training class has two men in it, the first time men … Continue reading

Fort Sanders Hospital’s Centennial Celebration in 2019

The hospital’s centennial celebration posting on-line (click here) contains many photographs. The information includes an undated photo of a nursing class and the following text: December, 1919 The Fort Sanders School of Nursing is established. Twelve young women formed the … Continue reading

KGH and LMU Hospitals — Establishment Dates’ Discrepancy

Polk’s Medical Register and Directory of the United States and Canada was published in 1917.  On page 1416, there is a listing of hospitals and homes in Knoxville. Knoxville General Hospital. 991 Cleveland pl. Est’d 1899. Capacity 125. Public. Med … Continue reading

LaFollette Coal, Iron and Railway Company Hospital

Polk’s Medical Register and Directory of the United States and Canada, published in 1917, lists a hospital on page 1416 for which we have no historical details.  Information would be appreciated. Status: Private Location: Tennessee av[enue] Established: 1900 Capacity: 12 … Continue reading

Knoxville College Hospital Established in 1906

Knoxville College Hospital Knoxville, Tenn, Established 1906; public for colored patients, 17 beds, Miss Helen Ferguson RN, superintendent. (Source: Hospital Management, Volume 14, No. 5, Crain Publishing Company, 1922, p. 88). In 1917, Polk’s Medical Register & Directory of the … Continue reading

Knoxville’s Hospital Building and Promoting Board Established 1896

The following text is from Standard History of Knoxville, by William Rule (pages 547-549).  The book was published in 1900. Knoxville Hospital located at the corner of State and Cumberland streets and standing flush with each street was established several … Continue reading

East Tennessee Insane Asylum Established in 1883 in Knoxville

The hospital was later known as Eastern State Psychiatric Hospital, then Lakeshore Mental Health Institute before it closed.  Most Knoxville graduate nurses did a psychiatric nursing rotation there during their training. The following text is from Standard History of Knoxville, … Continue reading

St. Mary’s Hospital Nurses and Local Babies in 1937

Sister Celeste and nurses show off babies at St. Mary’s Hospital in 1937. With the sister are toddlers Jerry Curtis, left, and Xavier Mankel, who is today the Pastor at Holy Ghost Catholic Church. (St. Mary’s Archive) Source: https://archive.knoxnews.com/news/local/community-rallied-to-raise-funds-for-modern-new-st-marys-hospital-then-turned-out-to-celebrate–ep-3-357045851.html/ … Continue reading

Knoxville Celebrates Opening of St. Mary’s in 1930

Community rallied to raise funds for ‘modern’ new St. Mary’s hospital, then turned out to celebrate Need for hospital caused community to rally, then celebrate by Kristi L. Nelson, Knoxville News Sentinel (April 29, 2012) On a warm spring afternoon, … Continue reading