City of Knoxville Purchases LMU Hospital in 1917

The City of Knoxville’s purchase of Lincoln Memorial Hospital, which was located across Cleveland Place from Knoxville General Hospital, occurred in late 1917 to early 1918.  Some resources say LMU was sold to the University of Tennessee, but that is … Continue reading

East Tennessee Baptist Hospital, 1958

East Tennessee Baptist Hospital opened 19 Oct 1948 in Knoxville.  Soon afterward, Baptist instituted its own 3-year nurses’ training program.  Some Baptist students did portions of their clinical rotations at Knoxville General Hospital. Over the nearly 60 years Baptist existed … Continue reading

LMU Hospital & Tennessee Medical College

The 1907 edition of Mountain Herald, catalogue of Lincoln Memorial University, contains the following statement, which indicates the approximate time LMU and TMC entered into an arrangement: “Tennessee Medical College, of Knoxville, Tenn., is articulated with Lincoln Memorial University as … Continue reading

Knoxville Hospitals in 1910

Lincoln Memorial Hospital 902 Cleveland Place Miss Eva Westover, superintendent Lincoln Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses Dr. [Samuel D.] Acuff, medical director Knoxville General Hospital Dameron Avenue, corner of Cleveland Place J. M. Brooks, president; H. M. Aiken, vice-president; … Continue reading