The City Council. It Meets in Regular Weekly Session. The Medical College Want To Buy a Lot from the City — Other Business Transacted
The city council met in regular session last night. All the aldermen were present, and Mayor Condon presided.
After the reading of the minutes, City Attorney Sneed introduced Chancellor Gibson. Judge Gibson, as professor of medical jurisprudence, came before the body, representing the Tennessee Medical college. It has been the intention of the college people to erect a building of their own, to cost not less than $10,000. The college building committee have been looking for a site for the building for some time, and a lot with a frontage of 100 feet, on William and Park streets was selected as a suitable lot. It was the property of the city, and Chancellor Gibson asked that the matter of its sale be referred to the finance committee, for report.
Dr. Ristine spoke on the subject, and illustrated the advantages to be obtained from a first class medical school. It was the intention, so the doctor stated, to erect in addition to the college, a free dispensary where the poor could be treated without charge. Tha [sic] college wanted to obtain a low figure on the lot.
Upon motion of Alderman Boyd the matter was referred to the finance committee.
Source: Knoxville Daily Journal and Tribune, December 7, 1889, page 8
Option Secured. The Tennessee Medical College Looking for a Lot
The Tennessee Medical college has secured an option on the property, corner Temple and Cumberland avenues.
The property referred to, is a lot 128×150, situated by one of the prettiest parts of the city. For some time the college faculty has been looking around for a lot on which to construct a permanent medical college and hospital.
It was first decided to locate the school in North Knoxville, but after careful investigation it was decided that the building should be built elsewhere. The lot corner Temple and Cumberland avenues was looked upon with favor, and at last an option secured. The deal will probably be consummated early next week.
If the property is purchased the erection of an immense school house will be commenced at once, and will be completed by October or November next. It is the intention of the faculty to establish a free dispensary in connection with the college. In general, the college will be beyond doubt the finest institution of like description in the south.
As son as it is possible, a hospital will be erected and operated in connection with the college. The property mentioned above is of sufficient extent to permit the erection of a hospital. If the trade is closed, the Journal will give a description of the buildings which the college intends to construct. The plans are now in the hands of an architect.
Source: Knoxville Daily Journal and Tribune, March 8, 1890, page 8