HHAC First Symposium, Reception & Book Signing Announced for May, 2016
To celebrate the publication of an important new book by one of its founding members, the Heritage of Healthcare in Appalachia Consortium (HHAC) presents the first in a series of symposia:
Early 20th Century Diversity in Healthcare
HHAC member organization, the Museum at Mountain Home
Thursday, May 12, 2015
1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Reese Museum, 363 Stout Drive, Johnson City, TN 37614
- Sharon Loury, Ph.D., R.N., ETSU College of Nursing Faculty and founding member of HHAC — Welcome and Background Information
- Wendy Nehring, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N., F.A.A.I.D.D.; Dean, ETSU College of Nursing — Recognition of Nurses’ Week and the 195th Anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s Birth
- Mary Alexander, M. S. — The Life of Hezekiah B. Hankal, M.D. (1825-1903), pioneer African-American physician in Johnson City
- Daniel Gmyrek, M.S., D.Ph., ETSU College of Pharmacy Faculty — African-American Pharmacists in South Central Appalachia
- Kenneth Doyle Phillips, Ph.D., R.N., ETSU College of Nursing Associate Dean for the Center of Nursing Research — Pioneer Male Nurses in Southern Appalachia
- Phoebe Pollitt, Ph.D., R.N., Appalachian State Nursing Faculty — Nurses of Color in East Tennessee and North Carolina
A reception and book-signing will begin at 4:00 p.m.
This event is free and open to the public. For more information, please click here to e-mail Martha Whaley at ETSU’s Quillen College of Medicine.
The details above — including the date — are subject to change, based on Dr. Pollitt’s book’s release date.
Details will be amplified as specific information is available.
HHAC First Symposium, Reception & Book Signing Announced for May, 2016 — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>