The young women in this photograph began their nurses’ training at KGH in September, 1943, with the expectation of graduation in 1946. The U. S. Army’s Cadet Nursing Corps was in place in 1943, and most of these women enrolled in that program.
Click on the photo for a larger image.
Pictured are the following:
- Roma Milligan ~ Powell Station, TN
- Virginia Sparks ~ Union, SC *
- Alva Ashe ~ Lynch, KY
- Edith Atkinson ~ Waynesville, NC *
- Ruth and Alta McGlothin ~ Cedar Bluff, VA *
- Betty McKinney ~ Pikeville, KY *
- Charlotte Leonard ~ Bristol, TN
- Katherine Ford ~ Fountain City, TN
- Margaret McGraw ~ Hazard, KY *
- Kathleen Simms ~ Altoona, PA
- Mildred Brantley ~ Speedwell, TN
- Iris Whitt ~ Cedar Bluff, VA
- Florence Doyle ~ Knoxville, TN
- Goldie Cowan ~ Strawberry Plains, TN
- Fannie Hackworth ~ Powell Station, TN
- Edna Smith ~ McClure, VA
- Margaret Griffith ~ Richlands, VA
- Bernice Lee ~ Bristol, TN
* Did not graduate.
This photo was donated by Alva Jo Ashe Creech.