University of Tennessee Isotopic Research Hospital opened in August, 1956, and became the successor to Knoxville General Hospital in addition to adding numerous new medical options to the region.
The last graduating class from KGH finished its clinical hours at the new UT hospital. Students in the first and second years of training at KGH finished the remainder of their courses and clinical rotations at UT. Those nurses had the option to adopt the pin and cap of either KGH or UT.
Click here to view the Knoxville News-Sentinel’s photo gallery with a retrospective of UT Medical Center’s development.