The United States Cadet Nurse Corps became available in 1943. Women as young as 17-years-old were eligible to join and were then provided tuition, books, a stipend, and a uniform with the provision that, after completion, they would serve for the duration of the war in a civilian or military hospital, the Indian Health Service, or other public health facility. The U. S. Cadet Nurse Corps comprised the largest and youngest group of uniformed women to serve their country during World War II. It existed during the years 1943-1948, under the auspices of the United States Public Health Service (USPHS). Lucile Petry (later Leone) was appointed director of the Corps. By October 15, 1945, 179,000 women had joined the Corps and 124,065 nurses were graduated from the 1,125 participating schools of nursing (U. S. Federal Security Agency, 1950). Source: Ebersole, Priscilla, and Touhy, Theris A. "Chapter Two: Geriatric Nurse Pioneers and Their Contributions." Geriatric Nursing: Growth of a Specialty. New York: Springer Publishing Company, Inc., 2006, p. 43.