TMC Eighth Session Begins in October, 1896

Eighth Session of Tennessee Medical College To Convene Today.  From a Small Beginning, It Has Grown To Be a Recognized Medical Institution.  The Faculty The eighth annual session of the Tennessee Medical college will convene at the college building this afternoon at 4 o'clock. The school is recognized as one of the leading institutions of the state, and it has also attained national recognition, as being a medical school of merit and value. During its brief existence the institution has grown wonderfully, and has thoroughly established itself as an institution of which Knoxville may well feel proud.  It began its career in the old Atkin building, corner of Gay and Main streets.  After remaining there two years it was found that the accomodations [sic] were inadequate for the growing attendance. It was then that the trustees set about to secure a permanent home for the institution.  The ultimate result was the building of the magnificent structure on Dameron avenue, which is now occupied by the college. The college has sprung rapidly into prominence, and has been patronized by young men not only from Tennessee, but from every state in the south.  Last session twenty-two states were represented, and the authorities have reason to believe that the number will be considerably augmented this session. But few changes have ben [sic] made in the faculty for the session of 1896-'97.  The professors, together with their chairs, are named below: Jefferson C. Cawood, M. D., dean, emeritus professor of surgery and clinical surgery. James M. Masters, M. D., registrar, professor of physiology, othalmology [sic] and otology. Benjamin B. Cates, M. D., secretary, professor of anatomy and clinical surgery. Michael Campbell, M. D., superintendent of East Tennessee Hospital for Insane, professor of mental and nervous diseases. Henry R. Gibson, M. A., LL. D., professor of medical jurisprudence. Charles P. McNabb, M. D., professor of the theory and practice of medicine and clinical medicine. Robert M. C. Hill, M. S., M. D., professor of materia media [sic] general therapeutics and clinical medicine, lecturer on diseases of children. John L. Howell, M. D., professor of surgery and clinical surgery. Henry J. Kelso, B. A., M. D., professor of operative, oral and genito-urinary surgery. Hardin W. Bright, M. A., M. D., professor of histology, pathology, bacteriology and clinical medicine. Emmet E. Early, Ph. G., professor of inorganic chemistry and pharmacology. William Bowen, B. A., C. M., professor of obstetrics and gynacology [sic]. Charles C. Yarbrough, M. D., professor of state medicine. Morton H. Lee, M. D., demonstrator of anatomy. Harry K. Wingert, B. S., Ph. G.,  M. D., professor of organic chemistry and toxicology. J. Foster Scott, Jr., M. D., assistant to chair of operative and genito-urinary surgery. Emerson Boynton, D. J. Long, John Roberts, C. Cusick, assistant demonstrators of anatomy. It will be seen that positions have been given Dr. H. K. Winger, Dr. J. Foster Scott, Emerson Boynton, D. J. Long, John Roberts and C. Cusick, who were students at the college last year. Dr. Scott graduated as the "honor" man of his class, and he is destined to become a power in his profession. Source:  Knoxville Daily Journal and Tribune, October 1, 1896, page 5   Untitled News Article (related to the above article) Dr. J. F. Scott, Jr., who graduated at the Tennessee Medical College last session left last night for Richmond, Ky., where he will begin practice.  Dr. Scott took first honors in his class this year and has a very bright future before him.  He is very well known in the city and his many friends will be sorry to hear of his departure. Source:  Knoxville Daily Journal and Tribune, April 13, 1896, page 3  

Leave a Reply